I have been using TomatoUSB custom firmware on my Asus RT-N16 router. It’s a great firmware where you have root access to the device and perform almost all operations that can be done on a Linux workstation.
Lytro: Take instant photo focus later camera has been launched for starting price of $399. It uses a new technology: Light Filed Camera. As Lytro puts it:
Lytro lets you take pictures like never before. Unlike a conventional camera that captures a single plane of light, the Lytro camera captures the entire light field, which is all the light traveling in every direction in every point in space.
I have been using Samsung Galaxy SII for the past 3 months. It’s time to write about the good, bad and the ugly things about this phone. It’s not a review; there are several reviews available on the net which says one thing: It’s a super-phone. There is no doubt about! It’s best smart phone available right now.
Recently upgraded my Wifi router to Asus RT-N16. The tech specs are follows:
wireless N, throughput of 300Mbps , 3 x external antenna , 2.4~2.5 GHz
n mode: 15.8~19.5dBm
* g mode: 15.5~16.5dBm
* b mode: 15.8~19.5dBm
4 x giga port ethernet , WAN x 1, LAN x 4 RJ-45 for 10/100/1000 Base-T, Supports Ethernet and 802.3 with max. bit rate 10/100/1000 Mbps and auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
2 x usb ports ( hdd / mem stick / print server )
CPU: Broadcom BCM4718 533MHZ
RAM: 128MB (2x 64MB)
ETH: 4x GIGABIT (LAN) 1x GIGABIT (WAN)
USB Ports: 2
Wireless N 2.4 gig
Updates the Router firmware to TomatoUSB.
Now I have complete control over the router. Have access to root shell and several popular Linux packages( Perl,Ruby,Python,curl…name anything 🙂 ) is available via Optware
What is that I gain from it right away:
- Running Transmission Bittorrent Client. It’s a simple and lightweight Bittorrent client that has a Web interface. Now the torrent can be downloaded and scheduled from any machine on the network. The router downloads it to the connected USB drive without a need for PC to running 24×7 !
- Second advantage is auto login to Reliance broadband. Reliance BB has an annoying Web based authentication even on a unlimited connections. We can not use the net unless the form is submitted with username and password. This makes connecting to the Wifi router via mobile phones / or use a non browser based apps roundabout process. With libcurl installed( thanks to optware) this is automated with router startup and scheduling every 12 hours( as they have 24 hours session limit)
Find a sample ssh screenshot to the router:
As requested following is the script that I use for reliance auto login. Optware libcurl needs to be installed first.
curl -A "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 GTB6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)" --referer "http://www.reliancebroadband.co.in/reliance/login.do" --cookie-jar /tmp/mnt/FLASH/tomato/reliance/relcookie "http://www.reliancebroadband.co.in/reliance/login.do" --connect-timeout 15 --max-time 20 --retry 2 --retry-delay 5 curl -A "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 GTB6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)" --referer "http://www.reliancebroadband.co.in/reliance/login.do" --cookie /tmp/mnt/FLASH/tomato/reliance/relcookie --data "userId=3432432444&password=paswd" "http://www.reliancebroadband.co.in/reliance/login.do?action=doLoginSubmit" --connect-timeout 15 --max-time 20 --retry 2 --retry-delay 5
- Rekindles my reading habit: Read 4 books after getting Kindle(4 months back). Didn’t complete a full books in the previous two years!
- Fist best thing: Battery life. I need to charge it only every 3-4 weeks time!
- Second best thing about Kindle is : Font setting. Set the size which is more comfortable.
- Looks like paper. Yes!
- Light weight ~250gms
- Delivery of books and magazines are very good via the Wifi.( Whipernet)
What would have made it better:
- During page turn it goes to full black before showing the next page. Initially it was annoying. But, now i don’t notice it at all
- Wish the books were lot cheaper. Average price is is ~10$. So have to look for other means to get cheaper book 🙂
I got one. Thanks to Sudhir!
Waiting for it to reach Chennai 🙂